Ladykirk Churchyard

Church History.

Standing above the River Tweed, which borders Scotland and England, Ladykirk was built about 1500.Of late Gothic style it is entirely built of stone, even the roof, which is covered in large slabs. This was probably a precaution against burning in one of the cross-border raids that persisted for many years after its construction. The top of the tower was added in 1743, possibly to a design by William Adam, father of the well-known Georgian architects, the Adam brothers. The ends of the choir and the transepts which project from the sides of the building are half-octagons, a feature of late Gothic churches in Scotland, of which this is one of the best survivors.

In 1496, King James IV of Scots was returning from a successful campaign in Northumberland when he was thrown from his horse during his fording of the River Tweed. After being pulled to the shore, he vowed to build a church as thanksgiving to Our Lady, the Blessed Virgin. He ordered the church to be built entirely of stone, including the roof and the interior seating, no doubt having the marauding English, who had a habit of burning Scottish kirks, in mind. The last time the king saw Our Lady’s Kirk was on his way to defeat and death on the fields of Flodden in 1513. The church has been added to over the centuries but still retains much of the original fabric making it the most complete pre-Reformation kirk in Scotland. The tower was heightened in 1743 and the clock added in 1882,a gift from Lady Marjoribanks. The stone used on the building came from Swinton Quarry.

The Sections are split section A is East of the Church
Section B is South of the Church
Section C is West of the Church
And D is North of the Church

There are many stones in the Churchyard that are unreadable so we have not inserted them into the site. Some are in but very few.

First World War

There are no Boer War entries for this memorial.

Second World War

There are no Boer War entries for this memorial.

Boer War

There are no Boer War entries for this memorial.


There are no Boer War entries for this memorial.

Ladykirk Churchyard Section B row 2 – 2 – Jeffrey

Isabel daughter of ROBERT JEFFREY smith died 14th December 1792 aged 14 years.

Also his son ROBERT  died 30th September  1793 aged 2 years.

Also his son GEORGE died 2nd February 1808 aged 31 years.

HELEN JEFFERY died 1st June 1815 aged 27 years.

Ladykirk Churchyard Section B row 2 – 5 – Wait/Dodds/Hislop

Erected to the memory of ROBERT WAIT Horndean who died 11th August  1838 aged 60 years. Also of CATHERINE WAIT his daughter who died 6th July 1855 aged 26 years.Also JESSIE WAIT his daughter wife of WILLIAM DODDS who died 12th October 1819 aged 35 years. Also MARY HISLOP wife of the above ROBERT WAIT who died at Horndean 11th January 1870 aged 86 years. This Stone was erected by his son JOHN WAIT. 1850 who unfotunately fell while in defence of the Country of his adoption at James Island near Charlston. S. C America 16th June 1862 aged 36 years.On the back of the stone CATHERINE HISLOP died at Horndean 28th September 1889 aged 70 years. Also WILLIAM DODDS husband of JESSIE WAIT died at Swinton on the 7th March 1880 aged 73 years.

Ladykirk Churchyard Section B row 4 – 2 – Corkindale/Douglas

Sacred to the memory of the Rev WILLIAM A CORKINDALE minister of Ladykirk who depated tjis life the 10th of Feb 1855 in the 41st year of his age and 11th of his Ministry

Waiting for the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ 

Also of ESTHER DOPUGLAS wife of the above who died 23rd Dec 1857 aged 74 years.

Asleep in Jesus

Ladykirk Churchyard Boundry Wall – Coxon

In loving memory of  EVA GLADYS NAOMI of old Ladykirk who died 15th Sept 1976 aged 32 years.

Dear wife of JOHN W. COXAN m. m.

Who died 29th April 1986 aged 92 years. Both born 9th Nov 1893

Ladykirk Churchyard Boundry Wall – Fleming

In loving memory of FORREST FLEMING Farmer – Old Ladykirk who died 18th December 2007 aged 90 years dearly loved husband of GLADYS JANE COXON who died 29th November 2011 aged 88 years.

Ladykirk Churchyard Boundry Wall – Fleming

MATTHEW FLEMING 13. 3. 1913  –  29. 7. 2017

KATHLEEN V. FLEMING Nee BEREY  27. 7. 1920  –  28. 10. 2011


Ladykirk Churchyard Boundry Wall Lough

Side by side always ROBERT JAMES LOUGH 28th June – 20th October 2017  “Man of the Land”

Devoted father Grandfather Brother and Husband of HEATHER HARKNESS

Ladykirk Churchyard Section A row 1 – 2- Straughan

In memory of  WILLIAM STRAUGHAN who died at Ramrig 9th day of July 1893 aged 94 years.

Also of AGNES wife of the above who died 8th Jan 1868 aged 95 years.

Also JAMES STRAUGHAN their son who died at Walter Stead jan 5th 1880 aged 75 years.

Also WILLAIM STRAUGHAN theis son died Sep 12th 1884 aged 76 years.

Ladykirk Churchyard Section A row 5 – 5 – Henderson/Thomas

Erected in memory of DANIEL HENDERSON who died Feb 1st 1851 aged 68 years. Also ALISON FOWLER who died 21st Sept 1864 aged 78 years.Also his son EDWARD died 21st Dec 1827 aged 17 years. Also JANET THOMAS who died in infancy. Also JOHN their son who died July 25th 1893 aged 71 years.     Them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with him

1 2 3 4 13
Scroll to Top