Ladykirk Churchyard

Church History.

Standing above the River Tweed, which borders Scotland and England, Ladykirk was built about 1500.Of late Gothic style it is entirely built of stone, even the roof, which is covered in large slabs. This was probably a precaution against burning in one of the cross-border raids that persisted for many years after its construction. The top of the tower was added in 1743, possibly to a design by William Adam, father of the well-known Georgian architects, the Adam brothers. The ends of the choir and the transepts which project from the sides of the building are half-octagons, a feature of late Gothic churches in Scotland, of which this is one of the best survivors.

In 1496, King James IV of Scots was returning from a successful campaign in Northumberland when he was thrown from his horse during his fording of the River Tweed. After being pulled to the shore, he vowed to build a church as thanksgiving to Our Lady, the Blessed Virgin. He ordered the church to be built entirely of stone, including the roof and the interior seating, no doubt having the marauding English, who had a habit of burning Scottish kirks, in mind. The last time the king saw Our Lady’s Kirk was on his way to defeat and death on the fields of Flodden in 1513. The church has been added to over the centuries but still retains much of the original fabric making it the most complete pre-Reformation kirk in Scotland. The tower was heightened in 1743 and the clock added in 1882,a gift from Lady Marjoribanks. The stone used on the building came from Swinton Quarry.

The Sections are split section A is East of the Church
Section B is South of the Church
Section C is West of the Church
And D is North of the Church

There are many stones in the Churchyard that are unreadable so we have not inserted them into the site. Some are in but very few.

First World War

There are no Boer War entries for this memorial.

Second World War

There are no Boer War entries for this memorial.

Boer War

There are no Boer War entries for this memorial.


There are no Boer War entries for this memorial.

Ladykirk Churchyard Section D row 9 – 3 – Renton

In memory of THOMAS RENTON born at Paxton died at Milne Graden 25th June 1922 aged 79 years.

For 63 years in the employment of the late DAVID MILNE HOME  of Milne Graden and his family.

Also TOM FERGUSON the much loved son of the above THOMAS and MARY RENTON who died at Cologne, Germany 24th July 1919 in his 23rd year.

Also the above MARY RENTON who died 29th Sept 1938.

Ladykirk Churchyard Section D row 9 – 8 – Graham/Gibson/Tate/Brown

In memory of HELEN BROWN beloved daughter of JOHN and ANNE GRAHAM who died at Ladykirk Toll 1st Feb 1950 aged 25 years.

Also the above JOHN GRAHAM  who died at Ladykirk Toll5th Oct 1950 aged 58 years.

Also ROBERT JOHN son of the  JOHN and ANNE and husband of MAMIE GIBSON who died at Leicestor 6th May 1986 aged 56 years.

Also the above ANNE GRAHAM who died at Kelso cottage Hospital 4th June 1987 aged 87 years.

Also THOMAS EDWARD son of the above and husband of MARY TATE who died at Newcastle 5th July 1986 aged 63 years.

Their daughter MARGARET ANNE  wife of RICHARD LYON died 20th June 2003 aged 68 years.

1 11 12 13
Scroll to Top