Swinton Section C – 8 – Arundell
In memory of JANE 3rd daughter of WILLIAM F. HUNTER ARUNDELL Esq of Barjarg.County of Dumfries who died at Swinton 15th May 1830 aged 11 years.
Text at bottom largely unreadable.
Barjarg, a hamlet and an estate in Keir parish, Dumfriesshire. The hamlet stands near the river Nith, 3½ miles S of Thornhill. The estate belonged in the 16th century to the Earl of Morton; passed in 1857 to T. Grierson, Esq.; went afterwards, by marriage, to C. Erskine, Esq., advocate, who rose to the bench and took the title of Lord Tinwald; was subsequently purchased by Dr Hunter, professor of divinity in Edinburgh University, and now belongs to Wm. Francis Hunter Arundell, owner of 1947 acres in the shire, valued at £1689 per annum. The mansion, Barjarg Tower, stands amid finely-planted grounds.