Ladykirk Churchyard

Church History.

Standing above the River Tweed, which borders Scotland and England, Ladykirk was built about 1500.Of late Gothic style it is entirely built of stone, even the roof, which is covered in large slabs. This was probably a precaution against burning in one of the cross-border raids that persisted for many years after its construction. The top of the tower was added in 1743, possibly to a design by William Adam, father of the well-known Georgian architects, the Adam brothers. The ends of the choir and the transepts which project from the sides of the building are half-octagons, a feature of late Gothic churches in Scotland, of which this is one of the best survivors.

In 1496, King James IV of Scots was returning from a successful campaign in Northumberland when he was thrown from his horse during his fording of the River Tweed. After being pulled to the shore, he vowed to build a church as thanksgiving to Our Lady, the Blessed Virgin. He ordered the church to be built entirely of stone, including the roof and the interior seating, no doubt having the marauding English, who had a habit of burning Scottish kirks, in mind. The last time the king saw Our Lady’s Kirk was on his way to defeat and death on the fields of Flodden in 1513. The church has been added to over the centuries but still retains much of the original fabric making it the most complete pre-Reformation kirk in Scotland. The tower was heightened in 1743 and the clock added in 1882,a gift from Lady Marjoribanks. The stone used on the building came from Swinton Quarry.

The Sections are split section A is East of the Church
Section B is South of the Church
Section C is West of the Church
And D is North of the Church

There are many stones in the Churchyard that are unreadable so we have not inserted them into the site. Some are in but very few.

First World War

There are no Boer War entries for this memorial.

Second World War

There are no Boer War entries for this memorial.

Boer War

There are no Boer War entries for this memorial.


There are no Boer War entries for this memorial.

Ladykirk Churchyard Section B row 9 – 3 – Blair

Erected by GEORGE BLAIR of Horndean to the memory of his daughter who died in infancy and of his daughter JESSIE who died Oct 6th 1841 aged  2 years.

Also daughter ALISON  died June  3rd 1843 aged 1 year.

Also the above GEORGE BLAIR who died Dec 27th 1891 aged 81 years.

Also MARGARET BLAIR wife of the above who died at Berwick   May 20th 1895 aged 84 years.

Ladykirk Churchyard Section B row 9 – 5 – Henderson

Erected by JOHN HENDERSON in memory of JANET his wife who died at Upsetlington on the 18th Nov 1859 aged 71 years.

Also the above JOHN HENDERSON who died 24th of January 1863 aged 80 years.

JESSIE HENDERSON their daughter who died 3rd of March 1854 aged 30 years.

Alice daughter of the above JOHN and JANET HENDERSON and wife of the Rev JOSEPH H. THOMSON died the 1st March 1874 aged 54 years.

Ladykirk Churchyard Section C row 1 – 2 – Marshall

Erected by JAMES MARSHALL in loving memory of his wife CHRISTINA  MARSHALL who deid at  Ramrig March 7th 1906 aged 46 years

Also JAMES MARSHALL husband of the above who died at Ramrig  May  3rd 1907 aged ?? years

Ladykirk Churchyard Section C row 1 – 12 – Lindores/Brown

In loving memory of JOHN LINDORES beloved husband of AGNES BROWN died at New Horndean Feb 10th 1914 aged 43 years.

Also AGNES BROWN died at Berwick July 19th 1962 aged 88 years.

Also THOMAS dearly loved eldest son of the above died at Berwick July 15th 1961 aged 66 years.

Also ANNIE dearly loved daughter and sister of the above died December 20th 2005 aged 95 years.

1 3 4 5 6 7 13
Scroll to Top