War memorials

A searchable online database recording details of the fallen inscribed on war memorials across Berwickshire, Roxburghshire and north Northumberland. This project came about through the research of local historians William J. Murray MA (Edin) and John H. Elliot. It was also inspired through dialogue with the project manager of the 'North East War Memorials' project which covers from Tweed to Tees. It has taken time to upload the details of each fallen hero and any extra detail is being added. The entries are divided between Boer War,  First World War, Second World War and Other Conflicts and the locations of the war memorials in Berwickshire, Roxburghshire and north Northumberland. William and John hope that any person with additional information would get in touch with them on 01890-882661 and 01890-882176 respectively or through the contact link in this website.  The History Society acknowledges the help of Scottish Borders Council's Archive Service in giving access to old newspapers and photographs.

Berwickshire war memorials

Abbey St. Bathans War Memorial

This Memorial can be found in the Abbey St. Bathans Kirk which is open for Community use. It consists of a bronze plaque on a marble mount with the words " Pro Patria ". There are four names from the Great War and is inscribed " To the glorious memory of those of this Parish who fell in the Great War 1914-1919. Their Name liveth for evermore ".

Ayton War Memorial

This Memorial can be found in a woodland setting within the grounds of the majestic Ayton Kirk which stands in its own grounds to the south of Ayton beside the old A1. ( Ayton is now by-passed ). It consists of a layered base surmounted by a Celtic Cross. The names of the fallen are to be found on Granite tablets on all four sides of the square base with the Second World War names on the back. Unfortunately no ranks or regimental units are named although gallantry awards are included. The inscription reads " To the glory of God and in memory of the brave and faithful men of this parishwho in the Great War of 1914-1918 laid down their lives for their country and the right. This Memorial is erected in gratitude, love and reverence by their friends and neighbours. Greater love hath no man than this ".

Birgham War Memorial

This new Memorial consists of a Cairn with an inscribed tablet fixed to the centre. It is situated on the A698 road between Kelso and Coldstream and is placed just outside Treaty Park. It contains only names from the Second World War and these names, together with those from the Great War, can also be found in Eccles Kirk. The Memorial was erected in 2000 A.D.and is inscribed " Birgham Millenium War Memorial Cairn in memory of those villagers who gave their lives and those from the Geat War and before whose names have passed into history. When you go home tell them of us and say for their tomorrow we gave our today. Erected in 2000 A.D.".

Bonkyl and Preston War Memorial

This Memorial is in the form of a Plaque, can be found in Bonkyl Kirk and has four names from the Second World War which were not added to the War Memorial in Preston village. The inscription reads " To the Glory of God in proud and grateful remembrance of the men of this Parish who fell in the World War 1939-1945. Their name liveth forevermore ". There is also a plaque commemorating the members of the congregation who fell in the Great War. Their names can be found on the Preston War Memorial. There is a further Plaque on the front of the Altar commemorating a casualty of the Boer War. ( see under Boer War ).

Chirnside War Memorial

The rather plain Memorial can be found in the grounds of the Church which stands at the bottom the village near the school. Near this Memorial stands another which is dedicated to a fallen warrior of the Second Anglo-Boer War and was erected by the good offices of his comrades. The inscription on the Memorial reads " In memory of those of this Parish who fell in the Great War 1914-1918, Hold such in honour ". The churchyard itself is well visited as it contains the grave of the famous Scottish racing driver Jim Clark who was twice World Champion and who owned a farm near Chirnside.

Cockburnspath War Memorial

The Memorial is constructed of two large blocks of granite surmounted by a Celtic Cross with the names of the fallen inscribed on three sides of the top block and can be found beside what used to be the main A1 road until the village was bypassed. On the front of the Memorial is a brass plaque showing a shield emblazoned with the Lion Rampant. The names do not include either rank or unit and there are no names from the Second World War although the village did suffer casualties in that conflict. The Memorial inscription reads " These men of Cockburnspath and Dunglass Estate laid down their lives in the Great War 1914-1919. Their name liveth for evermore ". The Memorial was unveiled on April 30th 1921 by Mrs Usher of Dunglass.

Coldingham War Memorial

This rather ornate Memorial stands in the centre of the village in its own small Memorial garden. It is made from sandstone with the names of the fallen inscribed on Granite tablets. Rather unusually the Memorial is topped with a square Sundial. On the wall of this garden is a Photo-montage showing soldierly photographs together with the badges of the various Regiments in which the fallen served. Across from the Memorial is the famous Coldingham Priory and churchyard and some of the casualties are also inscribed on stones herein. The Memorial front inscription reads " In proud and grateful memory of these gallant men who laid down their lives in the Great War, 1914-1919. Their name liveth for evermore ". On the side also on a granite tablet are the names from the Second World War with the inscription " In proud memory of those who in the Second World War 1939-1945 gave their lives that freedom might not perish from the earth ".

Coldstream War Memorial

This war memorial can be located on Coldstream High Street on the busy A697 at the entrance to Home Park and next door to the St Cuthbert's Centre. The names are inscribed on two brass plaques and the inscription reads " In proud and grateful memory of the men of the Burgh and Parish of Coldstream who gave their lives in the Great War for Liberty, King and Country . Their Names liveth forever more". For visitors to the town, the St Cuthbert's Centre has a 100 foot tower and cannot be missed. It is an impressive building. The town itself is a " jewel in Scotia's crown " and as the song says " the first true Border toun " with wonderful vistas over the River Tweed to the distant Cheviot Hills. The Memorial was designed by William Washington-Brown and unveiled by Field Marshal Earl Haig in May 1923 before a large crowd of people including many veterans. An honour guard was provided by a detatchment of the 4th Battalion, Kings Own Scottish Borderers.Also in attendance was Provost Carmichael in what was for him especially a poignant ceremony. Both his sons were amongst the names of the fallen.

Duns War Memorial

A fine tall Memorial set just inside the Main Gates of Duns Public Park. The names of the fallen of the Great War are inscribed on all four sides of the base and there is a tablet affixed to the front to cover the Second World War. Regrettably the Units of the servicemen of the Great War are not inscribed. The top of the Memorial is inscribed " For King and Country" with the Duns coat of Arms beneath. Below that are the words " This Memorial is raised by the Burgh and Parish of Duns in memory of those who heard their country's summons in her hour of need and after the old Border fashion counted not the cost of defending her liberty in the Great War of 1914-1919. Let their names be held in proud remembrance and their example be a guiding star for the generations to come". Nearby can be seen memorials to Duns Scotus the theologian- philosopher of the Middle Ages and to the Polish Forces who were stationed in Duns during the Second World War.

Earlston War Memorial

The Memorial consists of a square base surmounted by a Celtic Cross and is to be found in a small but pleasant park in the centre of the town. The Memorial is surrounded by low railings and the names are inscribed on the sides of the base. The inscription reads " To the glory of God and in memory of the 48 men of Earlston Parish who gave their lives for King and Country during the Great War. Their names liveth for evermore".

Eccles War Memorial

This Memorial takes the form of a Stain Glass window in Eccles Kirk with the names inscribed at the foot. The names of the Birgham fallen are also to be found here. The window is inscribed " To the glory of God and in memory of those who made the supreme sacrifice". There is also a Roll of Honour on the wall next to the window and it is inscribed " Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends". When the sun shines through the Stain Glass window there is a great feeling of peace and tranquility.

Edrom War Memorial

The Memorial takes the shape of a Celtic Cross and is situated beside the A 6105, the busy Duns Chirnside road. The Memorial is surrounded by some rather unsightly iron railings. The names are inscribed on three sides of the granite Memorial and all names are from the Great War. The inscription reads " Sacred to the Memory of Officers, N.C.O.s and Men of Edrom who fell in the Great War 1914-1918. Lest We Forget ".

Eyemouth War Memorial

An excellent Memorial in the shape of a Celtic Cross erected just off Albert Road next to the Royal British Legion Club. As Eyemouth was, and indeed still is a major Scottish East Coast fishing port there are a good number of naval casualties from all the maritime branches from the Fishing fleet to the Royal Navy. It is inscribed on the front " Those who laid down their lives that we might live". On the rear it is inscribed " Sacred to the memory of Officers N.C.O.s and Men of Eyemouth who gave their lives in the Great War and 1939-1945, They died that we might live ".

Fogo War Memorial

The War Memorial forms part of the Lych Gate leading to the Historic Fogo Kirk situated in the village of Fogo. The inscription reads " Erected by the Parishoners of Fogo in grateful remembrance of those from the Parish who laid down their lives in the Great War 1914-1919. Be thou faithful unto death and I will give thee a crown of life ".There are no casualties listed from the Second World War although the churchyard holds the graves of airmen who died during the Second World War flying from the training airfield of Charterhall which is only a few miles away. The Kirk holds two silver Communion Cups presented in 1662 by the Trotter family and it is believed that these cups are the oldest Communion Cups still in regular use in Scotland. The Kirk itself was established pre 1100 A.D.

Foulden War Memorial

The Memorial can be found in the middle of the village beside the A 6105 Chirnside to Berwick-upon-Tweed road. It consists of The Cross of Sacrifice mounted on a layered base with a wonderful view out over the Merse to the Cheviot Hills beyond. The names are inscribed on two brass plaques and give Rank, Regiment and Date of Death. In 2012 the Royal British Legion" Best Kept War Memorial" competion awarded this Memorial 1st Prize in its category. The Memorial is inscribed " France, Mesapotamia, Russia, Palestine, The Baltic, Gallipoli who won immortal honour, 1914-1919. Ye are bought with a price ". The reverse of the Memorial is inscribed " In honour of the fallen World War 11 1919-1945 ".

Gavinton War Memorial

This fine granite Memorial is in the shape of a Celtic Cross and can be found within the confines of Gavinton Churchyard at the West end of Gavinton village.The inscription reads " To Langton's Sons who died in the Great War of 1914-1919 and 1939-1945. Faithful unto death. Greater love hath no man than this ".

Gordon War Memorial

A simple but fine granite Memorial located at the village crossroads and set in a small memorial garden. There is a Victoria Cross holder commemorated here although his award seems to have been added as an afterthought.The inscription reads " To the glory of God and in memory of the men of this Parish who fell in the Great War 1914-1918 , Their name liveth for evermore ". There are no Second World War names.

Greenlaw War Memorial

The Memorial is a plain block with a central granite tablet situated on the A697 in the centre of the town in front of the recently refurbished Town Hall which used to be the administrative headquarters for the County of Berwickshire The main part of the Memorial contains the names of the fallen of the Great War whilst a lower tablet shows the Second World War casualties. The Memorial is inscribed " The Great Wars 1914-1919 and 1939-1945, Faithful unto death".

Houndwood War Memorial

The Memorial is situated within the grounds of Houndwood Kirkyard and consists of a block base surmounted by a rather plain Cross. The church itself is to be found just off the busy A1 and is at present being converted into a Church cum Crematorium. The Memorial inscription reads " In proud and grateful memory of the twenty nine brave men of this Parish who gave their lives in the Great War 1914-1918 and of those who fell in the War 1939-1945 ".

Hume War Memorial

The Memorial consists of an inscribed tablet set in a cairn of stones and is situated at the East end of the village looking out over the Merse Further back along the road the ruins of Hume castle dominate the skyline. The Memorial is inscribed " Remember the men of Hume Parish who gave their lives in the Great War 1914-1919, True to the end". There are no names from the Second World War.

Hutton War Memorial

The Memorial is built from sandstone and is in the shape of a tiered pinnacle topped with the Cross and is situated beside Hutton Kirk. The inscription reads " Erected in memory of the N.C.O. and men of Hutton who fell in the Great War 1914-1918 , We will remember them ". Some of the names are becoming difficult to read and the Memorial could really do with a thorough clean. The names inscribed are from the Great War with one casualty from the Second World War. Unfortunately the state of the Churchyard behind the Kirk is quite deplorable and has obviously not been attended to for some considerable time.Hopefully this shocking state of affairs can be rectified in the near future.

Ladykirk War Memorial

This Memorial built from sandstone and in the shape of a Celtic Cross can be found just inside the Kirk grounds in the centre of the village. It is inscribed " Pro Patria In proud and loving memory of the men of Ladykirk Parish who fell in the Great War. Grant them eternal rest ". The names are also inscribed on tablets inside the Kirk and when the sun shines through the stain glass windows the effect is quite magical. The Kirk itself is very historical and was built by the order of King James the Fourth around 1503 in gratitude for his being saved from drowning in the nearby River Tweed. The construction including the roof is of stone only so as to prevent the destruction of the building by fire.

Lauder War Memorial

The Memorial can be found on a small grassy island towards the North of the Royal and Ancient Burgh of Lauder on the A68 and consists of a base topped with a slender pillar and surmounted by a Lion Rampant bearing a shield. It is inscribed " Erected in memory of those men of the Parish and Burgh of Lauder who laid down their lives for their Country in the War of 1914-1918 ". All names, Ranks and Units are clearly inscribed but beware the traffic when you approach it.

Leitholm War Memorial

A fine Celtic Cross Memorial situated at the West End of the main village street not far from the banks of the river Leet. All the names are fully inscribed with rank, unit and date of death. The Memorial is inscribed " Lest we forget-The Great War August 1914-November 1918". On the Second World War section can be found Admiral Sir Bertram Ramsay one of the great unsung heroes of the War. He masterminded" Operation Dynamo", the Dunkirk evacuation and "Operation Neptune" the naval part of " Overlord" the D Day landings on 6th June 1944.

Longformacus War Memorial

This Memorial is to be found in form of a Lych Gate that forms the entrance to the newer of the two village graveyards and incorporates two slate panels with the names of the fallen inscribed The gate itself was supposed to have been built by Eyemouth boat builders. There is also a Roll of Honour to be found in the Church which can be reached down a narrow road in the centre of the village. However beware parking at at entrance as apparently it is private land. For the Great War the Kirk Memorial consists of the names of all who served and at the bottom all those who fell. There is also a Roll of Honour of those who served in World War 11. There are no Second World War casualties listed. The Great War Scroll is inscribed " Pro Rege, Dieu et Mon Droit, Pro Patria, Faithful unto Death ".

Oldhamstocks War Memorial

The Memorial can be found in the churchyard of picturesque village of Oldhamstocks which is situated in the Eastern end of the Lammermuir Hills. It takes the form a Celtic cross in granite on a stepped base and is inscribed "To the Glory of God and in Memory of ( the twelve Fallen) who made the supreme sacrifice"

Oxton War Memorial

The Memorial consists of the Village Hall with an ornate granite Memorial Tablet attached to the front wall. The inscription reads " Oxton Memorial Hall erected by public subscription 1924 and dedicated to the sacred memory of those connected with this Parish who fell in the Great War ". A separate tablet below reads " This stone was laid by Mrs W.L.Sleight wife of the Lord Provost of Edinburgh 1924 ".

Paxton War Memorial

The Memorial is built from sandstone and is in the shape of a slender tapering column topped with the Cross. The column is decorated by what appear to be intricate Runic symbols and is inscribed " Erected in memoryof the Officers N.C.O.'s and Men of Paxton who fell in the War of 1914-1918. We will remember them ". The Memorial can be found within a very small grassy area on the back road from Paxton down to the B6460 and just across from the entrance to Paxton House which is now looked after by the National Trust for Scotland.

Polwarth War Memorial

This stone Memorial is to be found on the rear wall of the ancient Polwarth Kirk. The inscription reads " To the Glory of God and the men of this parish who died for their King and Country in the Great War ".There are 8 names inscribed and in the centre is a St Andrew's Cross above" 1914-19 " Below the Memorial can be seen the iron grills of the vault containing coffins of the erstwhile Lairds most notably of the Home Family. These names can be read on the small notice below the Memorial. The Kirk is now in private hands with the owners living in old Manse. Entry can be obtained with their permission.

Preston War Memorial

The Memorial can be found beside the A6112 the Duns- Grantshouse road in the centre of the village. It is a fine monument backed by a splendid beech hedge although the surrounding railings somewhat detract from the rustic simplicity. The inscription reads " Fell in the Great War 1914-1919, Faithful unto Death ". All the fallen are given their rank, regiment, age and date of death. There are no names from the Second World War. These can be found on a plaque in Bonkyl Kirk. ( see under Bonkyl )

Stow War Memorial

The Memorial takes the shape of a Celtic Cross mounted on a base plinth and can be found in the centre of the Village at the side of the A7 where a road turns down to Stow Station. It is very well maintained an shows 46 Names together with the Regiments from the Great War and 15 Names and Units from World War Two. The Memorial is inscribed " In Grateful Memory of the Men from Stow Parish who gave their Lives for King and Country in the Great War 1914-1919 " The Plaque at the foot of the Cross which numbers the World War Two names is inscribed " 1939-1945 ".

Swinton War Memorial

This Memorial takes the shape of a cairn which can be found at the East end of the village on the A 6112, the road from Coldstream to Duns On the upper half of the Memorial is a Cross showing the St Andrew's Cross and a Thistle and on the bottom a granite tablet showing the names of the fallen with ranks and military units. The inscription reads " Remember. In grateful memory of the men of Swinton Parish who gave their lives for their country in the Great War. Their name liveth forever more ".

Westruther War Memorial

The memorial built of sandstone stands just inside the Church grounds at the side of the B6456 in the small village of Westruther and consists of a tapered base surmounted by a simple Celtic Cross with runic symbols. It is inscribed " In grateful memory of the men of this Parish who fell in the Great War. Pro Patria ". On a side panel are the words " World War Two in grateful memory ".

Whitsome War Memorial

This Memorial used to be found in Whitsome Kirk which is situated at the west end of Whitsome village on the B6437. It takes the form of a brass plaque mounted on a marble slab and is inscribed " To the glory of God and the imperishable memoryof the following from this Parish who fell in the Great War 1914-1919 ". There was a second brass plaque mounted on the opposite wall for the fallen of the Second World War and it reads " To the glory of God and in memory of the lads who fell in the War 1939-1945 ". The kirk itself is a very pleasant peaceful place looking out over the Merse. The Kirk is now closed and the two Memorial tablets have been rededicated and placed on the outside walls of Whitsome Churchyard which is nearby.

Northumberland war memorials

Lowick War Memorial

The Memorial consists of a castellated granite pillar topped by a cross inscribed with I.H.S. and mounted on stone plinths. The inscription reads " Sacred to the memory of those men who gave their lives for God, King and country in the Great War of 1914-19 and also to the memory of those who fell in the World War 1939-1945 . " Lest we forget, they died that we might live ". The original Memorial had been erected by General Sitwell of Barmoor and consisted solely of a large rock inscribed " 1914 - 1918 ". The villagers did not take too kindly to this thinking it showed lack of respect to their fallen loved ones. Consequently the rock was replaced by the current Memorial which was unveiled on 2nd January 1921 by Major J.G.G.Rea of Berrington. General Sitwell attended the ceremony. The original rock can now be found at the entrance to Barmoor caravan park on the Wooler to Berwick road. ( General Sitwell had commanded troops at Suvla during the Gallipoi campaign ).

Ancroft War Memorial

Originally the Memorial Plaque was inside the old wooden Village Hall and was unveiled in 1921 by Major J.G.G.Rea of Berrington House. The structure was rebuilt in 2005 and the Memorial Plaque is now situated on the outside wall within a neatly built porch facing the road. The inscription reads " In honoured memory of the men of this Parish who fell in the Great War. They died that we might live ". The Plaque lists 18 names of the fallen from the Great War. There are no names from the Second World War.

Bamburgh War Memorial

This is a very evocative Memorial set in an alcove in the rocks below the magnificent setting of Bamburgh Castle and looking out over the cricket pitch. It takes the form of The Christ crucified surmounting a block base and is built of Portland Stone which is now beginning to weather somewhat. It was unveiled by the Lord Armstrong in May 1921 and dedicated by the Bishop of Newcastle. There are three plaques affixed to the rocks beside the Memorial, with two of them showing 20 names from the Great War and a third bearing 15 names from the Second World War. The benediction on the shaft of the Cross reads " Greater love has no man than this " and the base is inscribed " To the glorious memory of the men of Bamburgh who gave their lives for their country in the Wars 1914-1918 and 1939-1945, May they rest in Peace ".

Berwick-upon-Tweed War Memorial

This very imposing Memorial to a design by Alexander Carrick R.S.A. stands outside St. Mary's Church at the top of Castlegate and is set in a small rose garden. A square sandstone base is surmounted by a metal Angel holding a wreath in both hands. The names of the fallen are inscribed on plaques on all four sides of the base. There are 480 names with their Regiments but no names from World War Two. The Memorial was unveiled on 11th November 1923 by Field Marshal Earl Haig and was dedicated by the Rev, William Jardine M.C. The inscription reads " The Great War 1914-1918. In Honour of all who served. In Sympathy with all who suffered and in Remembrance of these the Fallen Sons of this Borough whose Names are here inscribed. They trod the Path of him upon the Rood perfect in one Great Act of Sacrifice " . Also " To the Memory of the Men and Women of this Borough who fell in the 1939-1945 War ".

Branxton War Memorial

This Memorial can be found inside the ancient Branxton Kirk at the West End of the village. There is an inscribed tablet on the wall just inside the Main door beautifully inscribed. Above are two Stain Glass windows which depict the Regimental badges of the fallen the light from which falls over the Aisle and is most effective. The inscription reads " The Windows have been placed in this church in honour of those who fell in the Great War of 1914-1919 ". The Battle of Flodden was fought about one quarter mile away on 9th September 1513 and a notice outside the church states " Our ancient Church received the slain of both nations ".

Carham War Memorial

This Memorial is to be found mounted on the wall inside Carham Church in the village of Carham on the B6350 road which runs from Cornhill-on-Tweed to Kelso. The church itself overlooks the River Tweed towards the village of Birgham and Scotland. In the spring the long path up to the church door is flanked by a wonderful display of daffodils.

Chatton War Memorial

The War Memorial is situated in the centre of the village on the corner of the green across the road from the Percy Arms. It consists of a simple tapered sandstone Latin cross on a Square Block surmounting a two stepped base. The inscription reads " To the Glory of God and in Grateful Memory of those from this Parish who gave their lives in the Two Great Wars ". One face shows twelve names from 1914-1918 and another shows six names from 1939-1945 although no Units are shown. There are flower tubs around the Memorial which is well maintained.

Cornhill War Memorial

The memorial is in the shape of a Celtic Cross and can be found beside the A697 at the entrance to Cornhill House and on the opposite side of the road to the Collingwood Arms Hotel. The inscripion reads " These fell in the great European War 1914-1918. Sons of this place, let it be said that you who live are worthy of your dead These gave their lives that you who live may leave a richer harvest ere you fall asleep". A second inscription on the side of the Memorial reads " These fell in the Great War 1939-1945, We think of them in the morning and at the going down of the sun ".

Crookham War Memorial

This Memorial is to be found in the village hall which is normally locked up.

Doddington War Memorial

This Memorial is a stone plaque placed inside the delightful Church of St. Mary and St. Michael and can be found on the wall above the Font. It lists twelve names together with rank, Regiment and date of death. The inscription reads " Greater Love hath no Man than this, that a Man lay down his Life for his Friends. Their Name liveth to All Generations. "

East Ord War Memorial

A rather stark Latin type Memorial set in the Middle of the village green. It is interesting and unusual to note that there are more names from the Second World War than from the Great War. There is a tidy railing around the Memorial and it four new flower tubs give colour to the whole. There are two marble tablets affixed, one for the Great War and one for the Second World War. The Great War tablet is inscribed " In revered memory of the men of Ord Parish who fell in the Great War 1914-1919. We feebly struggle they in glory shine. The Second World War is simply inscribed " 1939-1945 ".

Ford and Etal War Memorial

This Memorial can be found mounted on the wall of the Historic Ford Church in the village of Ford, Northumberland. It is in the magnificently ornate form of a two marble tablets divided by an image of St. George slaying the dragon which is framed by two marble pillars . The inscription reads " To the glorious memory of the men of the Parish of Ford who made the supreme sacrifice in the Great War 1914-1918. Grant them O Lord eternal rest ". The memorial to the fallen of the Second World War is immediately below and is inscribed " To the memory of those from this Parish who died in the World War 1939-1945 " The Church itself has a wonderful view out over the Cheviot Hills and is backed by the imposing bulk of Ford Castle.

Holy Island War Memorial

The Memorial is a simple tall tapered cross built on The Heugh beside the Coastguard Station. It was designed by Sir Edwin Lutyens and was unveiled on 4th June 1924 by Major Morley Crossman, D.S.O. There are 8 names from the Great War and 3 names from the Second World War. The inscription reads " To the Glory of God and in Grateful Memory of Our Glorious Dead 1914-1918 ". The same inscription reads for 1939-1945.

Horncliffe War Memorial

This Memorial can be found in the middle of the village in front of the Berwick United Reform Church and takes the shape of a Cross on a base. A metal tablet seems to have replaced the original list of names on the stone and it would appear that some mistakes have been made in the regimental transcriptions -e.g. Northumberland Fusiliers ( N.F.) has become N.T., York and Lancaster ( Y and L) has become V and L . and Royal Fusiliers ( R.F.) has become R.T. The inscription reads " In proud and loving memory of the men of Horncliffe and District who gave their lives in the Great War 1914-1918 ".

Kirknewton War Memorial War Memorial

A rather poignant sandstone Memorial with a stepped base just off the Road as you come in from the Coldstream to Wooler road turn off. Unfortunately some of the Names are mostly illegible as are their Units. It is to be hoped that with the Centenary of the start of the Great War just over a year away something will be done to remedy this wear and tear. The front reads " Kirknewton Parish, In memory of those who fell in The Wars 1914-1918. 1939-1945 ". Underneath is inscribed " God asked of Britain's Homes a costly sacrifice and these ungrudgingly paid the price ". A further inspection has shown that a board has been erected beside the Memorial which gives all the names and Units in a pleasing and easily understood format.

Learmouth-Carham War Memorial

This rather plain Memorial is situated on a grassy knoll and has a tapered base surmounted by a cross in whose centre is a brass laurel wreath. The Memorial is situated at the Learmouth road junction and is inscribed " In memory of those who fell in the Great War 1914-1919 " There is a further intriguing inscription on the base " Let it be known at Sparta we remain at our posts". Some one on the committee must have had a classical education!

Longhirst War Memorial

This Memorial is to be found in the centre of the village and consists of a 20 foot high Obelisk of stone decorated with a bronze wreath. The lower half of the Memorial bears the inscribed names of the eleven fallen from the Great War and one name from the Second World War. It was unveiled on 31st July 1921 by Colonel E.P.A.Riddell, C.M.G.,D.S.O. commanding the Northumbrian Infantry Brigade and dedicated by the Rev. A.S.Wardropper. It is inscribed " In Grateful Memory of the Men of this Parish who fell in the Great War 1914-1918/1939-1945, They for freedom gave their best "

Milfield War Memorial

Milfield was an R.A.F. Air Station during World War Two and was used for flying training. A number of fatalities occurred during the course of the War and these are commemorated on a Memorial erected in the car park of the Maelmin site in the Village of Milfield. Some of the casualties were buried in Kirknewton Churchyard which is about 5 miles away in the foothills of the Cheviot Hills where many of the accidents happened.

Norham War Memorial

This is a fine looking Memorial set in a small memorial garden at the bottom of Pedwell Way and just outside the gates of the Historic Norham Parish church. The inscription on the memorial reads " Erected in memory of Officers and Men of Norham who fell in the War of 1914- 1918 and 1939-1945. Lest we forget those who laid down their lives that we might live, Greater love hath no man than this that a man lay down his life for his friends ". In the churchyard itself can be found a new stone commemorating Daniel Laidlaw, V.C. " The piper of Loos " who won his award on 25th September 1915 when under heavy fire he piped his comrades of the 7th Kings Own Scottish Borderers out of their trenches and into the attack on the German positions in the Lens Road Redoubts. Some few years ago the Medal was donated by family members to the United Services Museum in Edinburgh Castle. The ceremony took place on the old Loos battlefield and a Kings Own piper played the same regimental tunes that Piper Laidlaw played on that fateful day, " Blue Bonnets o'er the Border " and " The Standards on the Braes o' Mar ".

Scremerston War Memorial

This is a fine Celtic Cross Memorial built of white granite and set in the village beside the old A1 road near St Peters Parish Church. It is set in its own space behind a wrought iron fence and is flanked by two flower tubs and backed by a new green paling fence. The whole is beautifully maintained by the local people and does them much credit. It was opened by Lord Joicey in 1920 and the inscription reads " To the revered memory of the men of Scremerston who fell in the Great War 1914-1918. A last tribute of Pride and Sorrow. They died as men were called upon to die, fighting for God and Right and Liberty and such a Death is Immortality ". A further slab lists the five men who fell in World War two and reads " In grateful and honoured memory of the men of Scremerston who gave their lives in the World War 1939-1945. They died that we might live ".

Spittal War Memorial

This is a fine slender grey granite Obelisk set on a square pedestal in its own Memorial garden and can be found at the Spa Well on Main Street, Spittal. The names of the fallen are inscribed with their Ranks and Regiments.It was unveiled in July 1921 by Brigadier General Riddell, C.M.G.,D.S.O. Above the tablet with the inscribed names of the fallen is a plaque inscribed " To our Glorious Dead ". The names plaque is inscribed " To the Memory of Spittal Men who gave their lives in the Great War 1914-1919 ". Another plaque was added below " To the Memory of the Men and Women of Spittal who fell in the 1939-1945 War ". The Memorial shares the ground with what used to be an old Spa and there is an interpretation board setting out the most interesting history of the area. Somewhat incongruously there is a sign one of the boundary walls stating in large letters " No Ball Games ".

Tweedmouth War Memorial

The Memorial is situated in its own ground at the end of the Old Bridge beside the River Tweed with the Royal Border Bridge behind. It consists of a granite pedestal on top of a stepped base and surmounted by a kneeling angel. There is a low wall behind and iron railings to the front .Three sides of the Memorial show the names of the fallen together with their Regiments. The front bears the inscription " In Ever Grateful and Proud Remembrance of the Brave Men of Tweedmouth who fell in the Great War 1914-1918 and of the Men and Women of Tweedmouth who lost their Lives in the Second World War. They were a Wall unto Us both by Night and Day " Underneath is added " 2nd Engineering Officer Paul A. Hendry G.M. 6th June 1982 aboard R.F.A. Sir Galahad at Bluff Cove Falklands ". Erected by the Inhabitants of Tweedmouth and Other Friends. Under this can be seen the Inscriptions 1914-1918 and 1939-1945. A plaque below this reads " To the men and women of Tweedmouth who have fallen since 1945 ". On the wall behind the Memorial are mounted three separate shields with the names of the fallen from the Second World War. These have been put up very recently and there is one each for the British Army, the Royal Air Force and the Royal Navy.

Ulgham War Memorial

The Memorial stands beside the road in the corner of St. John the Baptist churchyard. It is in the form of a Celtic type Cross with a tapering pedestal on a stepped base. 19 names with Ranks are inscribed from the Great War. There are no names from World War Two. The inscription reads " To the Glory of God and in Honoured Memory of the Men of the Parish of Ulgham who fell in the Great War 1914-1918. The men were very good unto us and we were not hurt. They were a Wall to Us Both by Night and Day ". The Memorial was unveiled on 27th July 1924 by the Hon. Arthur Joicey of Longhirst and dedicated by the Rev. P.C. Fielding. At this moment the names are becoming a little difficult to read and ivy obscures the base of the Memorial.

Wooler War Memorial

The Memorial can be found on the summit of Tower Hill which commands excellent views of the surrounding Glendale and consists of a fine Celtic Cross surmounting a rugged square cairn the whole being guarded by some rather ugly railings the purpose of which are not entirely clear. The stone came from Doddington Quarry. The First World War names can be seen on all four sides of the plinth with the Second World War names inscribed beneath.Some of these names are becoming a little unclear. Inscribed on the front of the Memorial are the words " To the memory of those from the Wooler District who fell in the Great War 1914-1919. Their name liveth forevermore ". On the reverse are these words " No hate was theirs, no thirst for fame went forth to death by honours sent, Life beckoned sweet, the great call came, They knew their duty and they went.".

Roxburghshire war memorials

Ancrum War Memorial

The Memorial can be found in the centre of the pleasant village of Ancrum and consists of a sandstone block surmounted by a rather intricate pillar. There are four badges on the pillar. On the front can be seen the Lion Rampant superimposed on a broadsword. On the other three sides are the Regimental Badges of the Royal Scots, the Kings Own Scottish Borderers and the Cameronians ( Scottish Rifles ). The 15 names of the fallen from the Great War are inscribed on a granite plaque at the front and there are no names from the Second World War. The inscription reads " This Cross was erected in A.D. 1920 as a lasting Memorial of the men of Ancrum Parish who in the Great War 1914-1918 gave their lives for their country. Death is swallowed up in Victory ".

Bonchester Bridge & Hobkirk War Memorial

This is a fine Memorial with the Memorial block surmounted by a Celtic Cross on which is fashioned a sheathed sword. The inscription reads " Erected in Honoured Memory of the Following Soldiers from this Parish who fell in the Great War ". The twenty one Great War fallen with Rank and Unit are inscribed on the main block. Below this is the following inscription. " Do you grieve, O, Reader, that these have gone before and that their Graves lie beyond the narrow seas: Do not grieve: your name may perish, Theirs will live for ever and ever ". On the reverse of the Memorial are four names from 1939-1945.

Bowden War Memorial

This rather plain Memorial is to be found on a grassy bank beside the road in the centre of the Village. It consists of an octagonal pillar inscribed at the top " Restored for the Men of the Parish who fell in 1914-1919 ". The names of the fallen are inscribed on the pillar itself and it would appear that it is these names which have been restored. A plaque has been added to the base which lists the same names presumably before the names on the Pillar were restored. There are 12 names listed from the Great War and none from World War Two. There is a suggestion the Memorial is the old " Mercat Cross " brought back into use to commemorate the fallen and as the shape is rather unusual for a War Memorial this does seem a likely scenario.

Crailing War Memorial

This imposing and massive Memorial used to stand beside the busy A698 Kelso to Jedburgh road. The road was widened and the Memorial bypassed and so the viewer must turn off the main road to find the Memorial which is now hidden from sight of the passing motorist. The top seems to have been broken and repaired at some time. The inscription reads " To keep in proud remembrance the men of Crailing who gave their lives for their Country 1914-1918, The Lord maintained our cause ". There are twelve names from the Great War and one name from the Second World War.

Denholm War Memorial

The Memorial is situated at the Hawick end of the village beside the busy A 698. It consists of a simple cross set on a stepped sandstone block base. Unfortunately the ravages of time have made the names difficult to read and in general a good clean up would seem to be in order. The Inscription reads " In honour of those who fought, in sympathy with those who suffered and in grateful remembrance of those named below who fell in the Great War 1914-1918 ".

Eckford War Memorial

The Memorial is set just inside the Eckford Kirk churchyard beside the main Kelso to Jedburgh road, the A698. Unfortunately there are some rather rusty green railings to the front which rather spoil the scenario. It has a tall slim central pillar surmounted by a fine Celtic Cross set upon three stepped blocks. The names of the fallen are inscribed in alphabetical order on the pillar together with where they lived. The main supporting block is inscribed " Erected by the Parishioners of Eckford in memory of the men who enlisted from the Parish and who gave their lives for their country in the Great War 1914-1918 ". There are no names from the Second World War.

Ednam War Memorial

A fine slender Memorial with a Wreath encircling the years 1914 and 1919 over the sword and the years 1939 and 1945. The base of the Memorial is in the form of a lion's head drinking fountain and there is the inscription on the side " In memory of the following who gave their lives for their country ". The whole stands on a semi-circular plinth.

Kelso War Memorial

This is a very fine Memorial set in its own gardens in Bridge Street and just beside the magnificent Kelso Abbey. It consists of a central pillar surmounted by a cross and a forward facing niche contains a statue of St. George. Around the pillar there is a crenallated walkway with each crenallation containing a plaque with the names of the fallen. The Memorial was designed by Robert Lorimer and is inscribed " To the Glory of God & in Honoured Memory of the Men of this Town and District who fell in the Great War 1914-1919. Greater Love Hath No Man Than This " and " 1939-1945 In Honoured Memory of those of Kelso Parish who fell in the World War ".

Liddesdale War Memorial

The Liddesdale War Memorial is to be found in Douglas Square in the village of Newcastleton. This very imposing Memorial is built on a granite base and is surmounted by the figure of a Kings Own Scottish Borderer holding his rifle with bayonet fixed. One panel lists all the names of the K.O.S.B. , a second lists the fallen from other Scottish Regiments and the third lists the fallen from a mixture of other units including one from the Royal Flying Corps.There are ten names listed from the Second World War and one each from the Malayan Emergency and the Kenyan action.

Lilliesleaf War Memorial

This fine Memorial of Doddington stone is to be found up a flight of steps beside the road in the centre of the Village. It takes the form of a Celtic Cross on a stone block which is on a two stepped base. The pillar of the Cross shows near the top a shield bearing the Lion Rampant with a claymore in relief below. Under the point of the sword is a list of battlefields where the men fell. France, Belgium, the Balkans, Palestine, Mesapotamia, Egypt and The Sea. Surprisingly there is no mention of Gallipoli. The Inscription reads " Sacred to the Memory of those who laid down their lives in defence of Home and Country in the Great War 1914-1919 ". There are 26 names and these are inscribed on two bronze plaques on either side of the base. One plaque is dedicated to men of the Kings Own Scottish Borderers and the other to a variety of Units. On the reverse is inscribed " Erected by Parishioners and Friends ". There are no names from the Second World War. The Memorial was designed by Mr. J.P.Allison of Hawick and was unveiled in July 1921 by Miss Otto of Linthill followed by an address by Brigadier-General Jardine of Chesterknowe. There is a Plaque in Lilliesleaf Kirk which lists the five casualties from the Second World War. It is inscribed after the names " Who went to War in the Name of Peace and fought without Hatred that Love might Live ".

Linton War Memorial

A fine Memorial surmounted by a Celtic Cross an resting on a plinth. Newly painted iron railings surround the Memorial and there is a good view of the Border countryside. The inscription reads " Lest we forget. In grateful memory of the men of Linton Parish who gave their lives in the Great War 1914-1919". The names are not in alphabetical order and there are no names from the Second World War. These names can be found on a marble tablet in that marvellous treasure, Linton Kirk and the Inscription reads " The Glory of God and in Memory of the men of Linton Parish who gave their lives in the 2nd World War 1939-1945. Greater love hath no man than this than a man lay down his life for his friends ". There is also a marble Tablet inscribed with Great War Roll of Honour and the words " They loved not their lives unto the death but the souls of the righteous are in the hands of God ".

Makerstoun War Memorial

A simple needle type Memorial set beside the road and surrounded by a set of metal railings. The Great War names are inscribed on three sides with the back being reserved for the one casualty of the Second World War This Memorial is unusual in that it commemorates 1914-1920. The reason given is that two of the names commemorated died some months after the Armistice in 1920 and it was felt that as far as Makerstoun was concerned 1920 was when the War ended. The names have been entered in chronological order with the Regiment and date of death.

Maxton War Memorial

The Memorial can be found on a wall in Maxton Kirk and consists of a marble plaque showing the names of 15 fallen soldiers of the Great War. It is inscribed " Men of Maxton who fell 1914-1918. Below this Memorial is a bronze plaque with the moving words " O valiant hearts, who to your glory came, Through dust of conflict & through battle flame, Tranquil you lie, your Knightly virtue proved, Your memory hallowed in the Land you loved ".

Mertoun War Memorial

The War Memorial can be found in Mertoun Kirk Churchyard just outside Clintmains village and is in the form of a stepped obelisk . The Names of the fallen are to be found around a base block with 16 names from the Great War and one name from the Second World War. On side shows the fallen of the Kings Own Scottish Borderers, one for the Royal Scots and another for various Regiments. The inscription reads " To the memory of the men from Mertoun Parish who fell in the Great War 1914-1918 ".

Minto War Memorial

This very fine Memorial can be found in the grounds of Minto Church. It has a base of stone which was quarried from the nearby Minto Crags. The base is surmounted by a life size statue of a British private soldier in full battle order with rifle and fixed bayonet at the high port. The face of the soldier is said to be modelled on Lieutenant Esmond Elliot the son of the Earl of Minto and whose name is on the Memorial. On completion it is said that the Countess of Minto had the figure turned to face towards Germany as " a British soldier never turns his back on the enemy". The inscription reads " The Flowers of the Forest are A' Wede Away. To the Glorious Memory of the Men of Minto Parish who gave Their Lives for Their Country in the in the Great War 1914-1918. Out of Darkness Through Fire Into Light. Rejoice we have Conquered ".The Memorial was designed by Thomas Clapperton and unveiled by Sir Douglas Haig in September 1921. There are seven names of the fallen on the Main Plaque. A further Plaque has been affixed below and is inscribed " In Memory of Those That Died in the Service of Their Country Since 1945 ".and has one name.

Morebattle War Memorial

A fine carved Granite Memorial set on two plinths and is found in the centre of the village. The Inscription reads " Erected in Memory of those from this Parish who fell in the Great War 1914-1918 ". There are no names from the second World War on this Memorial. These names can be found in Morebattle Kirk on a stone Memorial Plaque on the wall as you enter the Kirk. It is inscribed " To the Glory of God in proud and grateful memory of those of this Parish who died for their country 1939-1945 ". Below this Memorial is a Boer War Memorial in the shape of a Celtic Cross. ( see Boer War ) This Memorial is inscribed " To the Glory of God in Memory of Douglas Morrison, Oliver Alexander, G.Cunningham, David Leitch who gave their lives for their country in the South African War 1899-1902 ".

Nenthorn War Memorial

A simple Memorial standing in quiet corner of the Village in front of Nenthorn Kirk and beside the main Kelso to Gordon road. It consists of a central slender pillar surmounting the main inscribed block which is set on a three stepped base. The pillar is surmounted by a carves St. Andrew's Cross. The front inscription reads " To the Glory of God and in memory of those who went forth from this Parish and gave their lives for their country 1914-1918 ". The side of the main block is inscribed " In the Second World Conflict 1939-1945 these men of the Parish gave their lives. They shall not grow old as we that are left grow old, age cannot weary them nor the years condemn ". The whole is surrounded by a short set of metal railings.

Newstead War Memorial

This quite evocative Memorial can be found in the neat and orderly Main Street of the Village. It is constructed of sandstone with the names of the Names of the Fallen and the Inscription on pinkish marble plaques. There are eight Names from the Great War and two names from the Second World War. On the arm of the Cross is inscribed " Lest We Forget " and the dedication on the lower plaque reads " To the Glory of God and in Honoured Memory of the Men of this Village who laid down their Lives in the Great Wars 1914-1919 & 1939-1945 ".

Newtown St. Boswells War Memorial

The Memorial is in the form of a Celtic Cross with a base block on which are the names of the fallen and can be found on a grassy knoll in front of the Scottish Borders H.Q. building. The Memorial is inscribed " In Memory from Newtown District who gave their lives for righteousness and Liberty in the Great War 1914-1919 ". At the foot is " Their Name liveth forever ".There are 26 names from the Great War, 9 names from the Second World War and 1 from Northern Ireland. It seems the Memorial has recently been cleaned up and is in pristine condition. The Memorial was unveiled on 14th November 1912 by Mrs Ritchie of Holms.

Oxnam War Memorial

The Memorial takes the form of a stone panel set in the outside wall of the Kirk. At the head is the face and wings of an angel with a wreath at the foot. The inscription reads " In Memory of those who fell in the Great War 1914-1918 ". There are 22 names with Rank and Regiment noted on the Memorial, all from the Great War. It was unveiled on 23rd November 1921 by Sir Richard Waldie Griffith. Inside the Kirk there is a plaque with two names from the Second World War.

Roxburgh War Memorial

A fine Neat Memorial set in its own small patch of ground beside Roxburgh Kirkyard. with a chain fence guarding it on the roadside. The Great War Names are inscribed on three sides of the main block which is set on a stepped base. There are no names from the Second World War. The Memorial is inscribed " To those of the Parish of Roxburgh who gave their lives for their country in the Great War 1914-1919 ". The names are in chronological rather than alphabetical order with Regiments and dates of death inscribed.

Smailholm War Memorial

A small simple but neat Memorial set back from the B6937 Kelso road in its own small copse of trees in front of Smailholm Kirk There are four Great War names one of whom is buried in the Kirkyard next door. There are no names from the Second World War. The inscription reads " Lest we forget. Erected by the people of Smailholm Parish in honour of those who fell in the Great War 1914-1918 ".

Sprouston War Memorial

This is an small but imposing Memorial in the form of a cairn and is surmounted by a lion. The inscription surrounds the Memorial tablet and reads " Lest we forget those who fell in the Great War 1914-1918 ". At the top of the Tablet there is a circled Lion rampant surrounded by the latin Motto " Neno me impune lacessit ". ( Wha daur meddle wi me ). There are no Second World War names inscribed.

St. Boswells War Memorial

This imposing Memorial stands just outside the Village beside the very busy A68 Road. It consists of a massive cairn of rocks surmounted by a Celtic Cross and surrounded by iron railings. Two cherry trees have been planted at each side. The front facing the road features a bronze plaque embossed with the Cross whilst the names of the fallen can be found on two plaques to the rear facing the cricket pitch. Considering the size of the Memorial the plaques are quite small and show 31 names from the Great War and 5 from World War Two. The Great War plaque is inscribed " To the memory of the men of St Boswells Parish who fell in the Great War MCMXIV-MCMXVIII. The use of the Roman numerals is quite unusual. The second plaque reads " Also in memory of those who fell in the World War 1939-1945.

Stichill War Memorial

A simple yet moving Memorial based on a lion's head drinking fountain which can be found at the roadside in the centre of the village. The Inscription reads 1914 1918 Memorial To the men who fell in the Great War. There are no names from the Second World War.

Stobs War Memorial

This poignant and rather lonely Memorial can be found on the B 6399 Hawick to Newcastleton road at the entrance road to the old military camp at Stobs. The whole site is backed by a wooden fence and flanked by two wooden flower planters. The Memorial consists of a simple pillar on a Block with a stepped base.The pillar is surmounted with a cross of sacrifice fronted by a shield showing the St Andrew's Cross. There are 12 Great War names of men from the Slitrig Glen showing their Ranks and place of residence and I name from the Second World War. The Memorial is inscribed " The Great War 1914-1919. In Fond and Loving Memory of these Young Men Who at the High Call of Duty Went Forth from This Valley on Active Service and Gave Their Lives for Their Country in the Great Cause of Freedom ".

Teviothead War Memorial

This is a very simple slender Memorial surmounted by the Cross with the names of the fallen etched into the block base which itself stands on a square base. Unfortunately the ravages of time have made the names from the Great War all but illegible. Fortunately there is a Roll of Honour within the Kirk which records all those ( Men and Women ) who took part in the Great War. There is one name from the Second World War on the back of the Memorial which can just be made out. The Memorial stands in the grounds of Carlenrig Kirk and can easily be seen from the road which turns down from the A698 at the Carlenrig signpost.

Yetholm War Memorial

The Yetholm War Memorial is in the form of a granite Celtic Cross surrounded by a metal fence with entry gate and it bears the inscription "In memory of the men of Yetholm who fell in the Great War 1914-1919". It also commemorates the men who died in the Second World War 1939-1945. It lies in the picturesque setting of the Bowmont Valley on the roadside between Kirk Yetholm and Town Yetholm with the River Bowmont meandering past in close proximity.