Old Bridge in the Dub
•New Old Bridge in the Dub
In the Berwickshire Naturalist Magazine 1925
In cutting a new saw pit in a garden the property of Mr. James Briggs near to Duke Street, the arch of an old bridge was discovered. Which is good reason to believe it had been erected in connection with the old Abbey near to which it stands. Workmen were employed to dig to the bottom of the walls supporting the arch and the entire arch and all the connected walls were exposed. This bridge is in direct line from the Abbey to the ford across the Leet. The top of the arch is 4 ½ feet below the present surface. The ground was formally marshy. When the arch was used as a Bridge it would answer well for foot passengers or beasts of burden. But allowing for a parapet it is too narrow for a vehicle being only 9 feet in width.