Historic documents including Burials for Coldstream and Cornhill
Within the Society archives are various documents which have been produced by others over the years and these are gradually being entered into the website. There is an alphabetical list below which takes you to various topics. Access each one for the detail.
Burial records for Coldstream St Marys Church. Burial, Christinings and Marriges for Cornhill.
In 1719 Parliament passed an Act requiring any presentee to declare his willingness to take up a Patron's offer. This was to prevent a Patron presenting a candidate he knew would not, or could not, take up a post, so he could meanwhile make use of the stipend, etc. Many optimistically thought this was the end of Patronage, as no right-thinking Presbyterian would declare willingness to accept a Patron's offer, but after an uncertain few years, Patronage continued as the norm. This is how this affected Coldstream and the Society has discovered an old account of the troubled times.
Cornhill Castle This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.
Andrew Lyon who performed Marriages
Description of the Lees estate for sale
The Burial records from St Marys & all souls Church from 1889 to 2009. In total 417 records of full name, address, age, and the Vicar who took the service.
Smeeton's Bridge built in 1762-65
J Rutherford Hirsel Law
List of Burial Records for Harvey many people from Northumberland and the Boders
An account written between 1868-1875 of the original settlement of Harvey transcribed from a manuscript written by John Thompson, a schoolteacher and one of the original 1837 Cornelius party emigrants.
Hogg and Wood
Forsyth and the Jus-Rol story
Marjoribanks a short history
This is a document relating to the voyage of settlers who left our shores for a better life in New brunswick Canada.
Thomas Johnstone Cornhill Drowned
The first paper is a list of Emigrants. The second is a wonderful tale of the Craig family. The third is on the Cockburn Famliy List of Persons who Ballott[ed] for Land in the Harvey Settlement A short history of Harvey Station From where did the emigrants come
Salmon and Trout fishings on Tillouth This is from the sale document in the 1950's
These inscriptions have been taken from the Church records.
Were hand guns used as early as the Battle of Barnet in 1471? This a current question for historians.
This is the story of a cave in the Braeheads of the river Tweed.
One of the oldest Chemist shops in the Borders. Still with some of the original fittings inside.
The short history of Little Swinton
Life in Coldstream and District must have been interesting and here are the topics covered. The detail can be found in the attachment. Burgh of Barony – Earl of Haddington – People and Places in the Parish 1627 – The Old Mills – Witches in Coldstream – Saffron Quarter – Covenanters and Royalists – Coldstream Guards – The Plague – Tumult at Coldstream Fair – Schools – Dissension/Oath of Abjuration 1685 – Glorious Revolution – Hanoverians and Jacobites – Window Tax – Floods – Coldstream Bridge and Demise of the Ferries – Conditions in the Burgh in the late 1700s - Famous People - Post-Haste; Tolls and Turnpikes – ‘Curious Effect at Coldstream’ – Burgher Meeting House – Cemeteries – Pringle Hall – Folklore and Verse of the Period, including gypsies – References.
There is considerable detail to this project, run by the Flodden 1513 club, and this is best described in the attached meeting minute of 4 March 2013 involving 9 Border towns.
This is a document published in 1850.
Paula Murray, a news reporter for the above newspaper, telephoned the secretary of the Flodden 1513 Club in week commencing 4th February to obtain thoughts on the possible proposal to locate and DNA-test the body of King James IV who was killed at the Battle of Flodden on 9th September 1513.
In the the last century, Coldstream’s churches have changed dramatically. They were the dominant buildings in Coldstream for a long period and in 1862 there were five churches, whereas today we have two.